ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

From the heart of this woman

My poetry has changed over the years. The first poems I ever wrote were in high school. I laugh now reading them. Not because they are so bad ( though they aren't masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination! They are very typical of a lovestruck teenager pouring out her heart about some boy who won't play her any attention). But because they take me right back to that moment, feeling, emotion from my youth.

Later, as my mood darkened, my poems spoke of my sadness. I just went back to writing poems after a five year haitus. I find the poems that flow from me now speak to being lost and also I am playing around with imagery more.

Out of all the poems I have ever written I have pulled together 35 so far to put in an album to show friends and family.
Here are a few examples-

This poem is already on the internet. It is on poetry.com and at an aspiring writers msn group. If I remember right I wrote it in 2001.

The Burden

Like a bird that can no longer fly

her wings broken
by the burden
of his betrayal
bitterness
burned into her heart
sadness
scorched onto her soul
crushed by knowledge
better left unknown
and the
weight
of all her dreams

denied
inhibits her flight
Till the bird that once flew
now crawls through the night.

The next poem I wrote yesterday.
The Earth Rattles

The earth rattles
knocking loose
rearranging
what use to pass for,
masquerade as,
the truth.
Leaving left
the same pieces,
now a kaleidoscope of wreckage.
Or is it a blessing?
A forced beginning,
sun rising
over ruins
that are
destined
to be renewed.







6 Comments:

  • At 5/16/2006 10:42:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    They're very nice poems, RW. Short and yet so fulfilling in their crispness.
    I'm like you exactly with this. Except that I shudder when I think of my first batch of poems back in school. And in later years yes, how true. Poetry followed my emotional experiences & reflected moods accordingly. Not the episodes themselves. But the mood.
    You're a talented, promising writer to be sure, RW.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 09:56:00 AM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    You write very powerful poems! Poetry is such a powerful release.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 11:48:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan,
    Thank you for the compliment.
    I agree with you about poetry being influenced by your mood. It seems like whatever is lurking inside me is expressed in my poetry wheather I am trying to being out that emotion or not.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 11:52:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Kelley,
    thank you for saying that. For me at the time I write the peom ( or write anything) I am flying so high for the euphoria of creating something that it does not feel like a release to me. But years later when I read the poem again it can be a very emotional release as I remember that time in my life.

     
  • At 5/17/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Toni Anderson said…

    RW--thanks for reading my blog and commenting and linking !
    I love your poems. Mine always sound like kids stories! Dagnamit!
    There is a real artistry involved in using so few words to convey a feeling. Well done! And putting your work out there is a very very hard thing to do. I remember discussing this with another writer who thinks every time you give it to someone to read, before it is published, robs it of some of its magic. I rarely put my work up, but sometimes you just have to do it for yourself--and learn to look at it like an oblective stranger. Ever felt like that?

     
  • At 5/17/2006 04:17:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Toni, thank you for stopping by and commenting on my poetry.

    I don't feel like letting others read my work robs it of its magic but I do feel like if I talk too much about a novel that is unfinished that I can lose my interest in it. At this point my poetry is only for myself and my family. That is probably because I am too chicken to face stepping up to the plate and trying to get them published. Maybe I will some day. I would not put online anything I hope to get published though.
    It is a tough thing to look at your work like an objective starnger. It is neccesary to do that to get better but it is so hard.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home