ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Sunday, September 23, 2007

OMG,is it THAT time again?

I got an email from Chris Baty ( okay, I personally didn't just get an email from him. Thousands of other crazy people- I mean NaNoWriMo participants- did too.)

The site will go live on October first in preparation of the November first start of the challenge. For anyone who hasn't heard of National Novel Writing Month, the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days.

I took part in 2005 by writing 42,800 words or so. That unfinished work was called Tripping Over Myself. It was about the misadventures of a slacker twenty year old guy named Jasper Patterson.

Last year I jumped in again. That time I made it to 51,000 words. The novel I worked on was Nikolas and Simone. Anyone who reads this blog has probably already heard me bitch and moan about this story ad naseuam. I do love that novel though( except for the days I hate it). It is, to date, my favorite piece of fiction written by me.

Will I do NaNoWriMo this year?

That is the plan. Except I have zero plot ideas. I'm dry. Even though it is only September and by all rights I should not enter full fledged panic mode till, oh say, around November 5th or 6th I would still prefer to have at least a germ of an idea right now.

Hmmm. Will have to muse on it.

I'm crazy about NaNoWriMo. It's insanity but its a bueatiful sort of madness that only a frustrated writer could enjoy.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo?

4 Comments:

  • At 9/25/2007 03:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm going to do it (maybe I should say "try" it) this year... I think I've got enough in me to do it, it's just having/making the time to do it. The fact it's Fall and that's a big deal with my employment and the stupid pig has escaped twice in the past two days...

    I'm just stressing whenever I think about really having time to do it. But then I think, "Isn't this what I WANT to do most?" So I'm brainstorming how to MAKE more time...

    If only I could fold the universe--it always sounded like a handy gift to have (wrinkles in time and all that)...

    I've rambled on enough ;-)
    ~Saoirse

     
  • At 9/25/2007 07:33:00 PM, Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said…

    Nope, not for me. I did it once and won, and did it a second time and didn't win. But what I learned is that yeah, I can crank out the words (this year would probably be a winner year, given that I've got more time than I have had in the past, too). However, what comes out is horrid. I've spent years and years revising that first winner and it's still far from where I want it.

    Plus, I'm drafting something else, and I'm not about to dump it for a month. That seems like harsh punishment for something that didn't ask to be dumped for a month.

     
  • At 9/26/2007 02:59:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    That's cool, Saoirse. I'll look for you at the Nanowrimo site. My page will be under the name IlovetowriteSMP, that is if I can think up a story idea.

     
  • At 9/26/2007 03:00:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan,

    I can see your point. I wouldn't put aside a story I am crusing along on to work on NaNoWriMo. I would be afraid I'd never get back into the groove of my real project. NaNoWriMo is fun for me, though. Its an escape from seriousness before the holidays.

    Sara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home