ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Friday, September 07, 2007

Hi everyone

In an effort to post more often on this blog between now and November ( when if I do NaNoWriMo again I should be posting all the time about how crazed I am) I have decided to start doing the prompts found at Three Word Wednesday.

The latest one asks for each person to write something using these words:

Pound
Sunglasses
Wild.

Pay it Forward

He stood on the balcony of the overpriced, but still somehow trashy, hotel and gazed down on all the smiling, happy people. Hurly hated smiling, happy people. And beaches. And sunshine. And life. Hurly particularly hated life these days, ever since he became a walking cliche on the night he walked in on his wife and his best friend.

They had never even liked each other, Shiela and Tom, or so they had lied to him. Hurly hated liars.

It wasn’t like Hurly has ever been a upbeat guy to begin with but that day something changed, something broke. Something that could not be soothed over no matter how much alcohol he poured down his throat, no matter how many blondes spread open their thighs for him, no matter how good it felt to go to Shiela’s funeral and hear that there were still no suspects in her murder. Maybe it was just an accident, after all, was what people whispered.

There was a young woman, not over twenty and still full of promise, on the beach beneath him. She reminded Hurly of Sheila. She looked like she would take a man and break him but good.

Wave after wave pounded the shore, as the perky bright eyed beauty laughed at something the man at her side said. Then she stole his sunglasses right off his face, taking what wasn’t hers, taking without permission, not caring how the man felt about it at all. Hurly longed to scream at her clueless boyfriend “Don’t you see what she is?”

But only Hurly could see. Ever since Sheila slept with Tom, Hurly had a certain kind of second sight. He used it viciously. Some women weren’t human, Hurly now believed. He wondered why it had taken him so long to see that. 39 years and only now did he know the truth. So many men never figured it out. Some women were just wild things- animals, greedy and never satisfied.

Hurly titled his head to the side as a smile curved up the corners of his lips. The young woman on the beach was walking back to the hotel- his hotel- right now. He could catch her in the lobby if he hurried.

Self absorbed little twits like her didn’t ever notice when someone was watching them.

By Sara Pufahl

Okay that was extremely dark. Whoa.
Let me know what you think.

Three Word Wednesday

10 Comments:

  • At 9/07/2007 01:50:00 PM, Blogger Ma T said…

    Dark, yes, but I loved it! You brought a sinister feeling to the story that grew stronger until the end. Well done.

     
  • At 9/07/2007 03:20:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it. This is my first foray into Three Word Wednesday. This short piece came to me quickly and shocked me in how dark it was.

     
  • At 9/07/2007 06:37:00 PM, Blogger paisley said…

    Some women were just wild things- animals, greedy and never satisfied.

    i loved this line... there was a time i believe i was that woman,,, not in the cheating aspect... but just as a general rule....

     
  • At 9/07/2007 10:13:00 PM, Blogger TC said…

    OK, so it was weird enough when I got the hint that he killed Sheila, but that he does it to all kinds of women? Freaky. Nicely done.

     
  • At 9/08/2007 12:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is dark but life often is dark. More than we realise..

     
  • At 9/08/2007 01:03:00 AM, Blogger Bone said…

    If some girl took my sunglasses at the beach, I'd think she was flirting. Could I be wrong?!

    I agree with Gautami. It was dark, but life is dark sometimes.

     
  • At 9/08/2007 01:04:00 AM, Blogger Bone said…

    Oh, and welcome to 3 Word Wednesday Sara :) Hope you'll be back next week.

     
  • At 9/13/2007 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Jujee said…

    I liked the short story. Hurley the bitter man, not that the twits would ever know.

     
  • At 9/15/2007 01:10:00 AM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Sara, dark but good, and with a nice twist of irony.

    I notice both stories were about men who hated women, in one way or another. All writers tend to get 'stuck' on certain issues sometimes. It usually helps to be aware of whatever your mind is trying to tell you by the themes and subjects you choose.

     
  • At 9/15/2007 11:13:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hey WA! Thanks for stopping by. How are you doing? Good, I hope.

    You are right. Both stories were dark. I wonder why that is. I have been looking for my 'voice' for a while now in my writing. If it turns out to be a bitter woman hating man, I will LMAO. :)


    Hugs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home