ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Thursday, June 14, 2007

I am overwhelmed by the thought of completely finishing the writing of my novel Nikolas and Simone. I feel like I have ADD ( but I don't) because I can't focus on it for very long, my mind is scattered, it seems too much to break it down and perfect each part of it. The whole is something I can not, at this time, work with so I am trying to just deal with it piece by piece.

The most horrible habit I have is diverting my attention to other projects and story ideas. Of course they look more appealing. They are new, like the blueprints for some dazzling mansion only Donald Trump could afford to build. The new story idea could be magnificent and so my mind wants to pursue it.

But I've been in this game long enough now to know that there will always be a new idea begging for attention. The trick is to stay faithful to your old, tired, losts it luster and new car smell original idea.

Novel writing is not for wimps, I will tell you that. It takes the ability to harness all the creativity, willpower, and determination you have and, at the same time, wrestle down all your demons, doubts and fears while typing till your fingers bleed and your butt takes on a new shape from sitting at the computer one too many hours.

I was watching a reality show the other day called The Lot. It was about wannabe directors. One said "The difference between brain surgery and directing is brain surgery is easy."

Insert writing for directing and I could not agree more.

Well that is where I am at right now, plugging along. Where are you?

4 Comments:

  • At 6/15/2007 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said…

    Novel writing is not for wimps -- amen, sister!

    I'm doing some edits. Well, I'm trying to do some edits, but I found this photo album online and it's full of these amazing pictures that are quite inspiring. So I'm looking at those and letting my mind wander. I'll edit at some point. It's not going anywhere.

     
  • At 6/16/2007 12:08:00 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    I can relate. I am finding that I can't focus for too long on my novel either. I am also trying to deal with it piece by piece.

    I do sometimes get depressed because I really want to see the finished piece and wonder if I will ever get there, but I just have to believe in it. It has to be written. I've come too far to just give up on it.

     
  • At 6/17/2007 09:09:00 AM, Blogger Adrian Swift said…

    I'm currently still on a break between rewrites and trying to get my other projects finished ASAP so I can get back to my novel.

    I felt all that you described when I did my first draft of my first novel. After completing that one, the other drafts have been much easier -- I now know that I can do it, can complete it. That helps immensely.

    Yes, just sticking with it will in fact get you there. Be patient. Like a long-distance runner, pace yourself. You can and will make it if you don't give up.

     
  • At 6/27/2007 10:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sara,

    Sometimes I read your posts and think: Hmm, do I have another sibling I never knew about?

    I also have this issue with "getting off track" when I'm close to finishing a project (like my novel). I'll spaz suddenly and find almost anything else to do. A new idea, new project, old "obligation?" That's when they all seem to crop up.

    I agree. Novel writing is NOT for wimps. You have to fight to get through it at some points, but it's awesome, too. You and I both know when it's going well, it feels great. That's what we have to hang on to.

    Push through the distractions, stay focused on the goal. Maybe you and I might consider exchanging manuscripts at some point--sometimes a new perspective can spark you back to action and renew your committment...

    Anyhow--Take care!
    ~Saoirse

     

Post a Comment

<< Home