ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What I did for Love, What I did for NaNoWriMo

(Title of this post is inspired by the song What I did for Love from my favorite movie, A Chorus Line.)


While working on my NaNoWriMo novel I realized just how much information on widely varying topics a writer must know. Thank God for the internet or else my novel would be full of more holes that a crocheted blanket. Here are some of the terms I entered into the search engine:

down, down baby. children’s song
candle lit restaurant south side of Chicago chocolate
eighties phrases
pink tights Cindy Lauper
top 100 songs of 1987
hair band
study on imprinting

Sometimes in order to write 50,000 words in a month you must cut some corners and add some filler.
Sins I committed to try and reach my goal:
Never used any contractions.
Wrote run on sentences galore.
Had hero make up a story ( about soul mates) and tell it to heroine.
Mentioned a lot of different songs that were playing on radios in the car, at parties, or dance clubs.
Lots of flashbacks!!! ( These were my favorite to write. I loved going back in time and trying to recapture that flavor.)

Overall I am having a blast with NaNoWriMo. Knowing thousands of writers around the world are slaving away at the same feverish pace I am gives me a sense of community that warms my soul and infuses new energy into my spirit.


I see myself tackling National Novel Writing Month for the third time next year. Will you join in? Hope to see you there!

Word Count update- I am at nearly 24,000 words now. Still nervous I won’t make it but I will type, type, type and push it till midnight November 30th.



Song Lyrics of the Day

She grew up in an Indiana town,
Had a good looking momma
who never was around,


But she grew up tall
and she grew up right
With them Indiana boys on an Indiana night...


Last dance with Mary Jane.
One more time to kill the pain.

I feel summer creeping in and I'm
tired of this town again...

Oh my, my, oh hell yes
Honey put on that party dress

Buy me a drink, sing me a song,
Take me as I come 'cause
I can't stay long...

Last dance with Mary Jane
One more time to kill the pain

Tom Petty





3 Comments:

  • At 11/14/2006 11:34:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Dearest Sara,
    For your search engine words, they sound lyrical, even slightly whimsical, standing like that so wistfully on their own.
    I picture your words as pretty being with ribbons in their hand and bangles on their wrists.
    As for your sins, never mind.
    Your prose will soon be redeemed with edits, once the initial work is done.
    Keep going, Sara.
    You are doing so well.
    love from me

     
  • At 11/14/2006 11:35:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Oops, with ribbons in their hair...
    (sorry)

     
  • At 11/18/2006 03:26:00 PM, Blogger bookwormaddict said…

    Hi Sarah,
    Well if you search for me on the NaNoWriMo site my screen name I think is either bookworm or bookwormaddict! Right now I'm at about 38K words typed...almost there! How's your story going? Write soon! I finally posted on my book review blog:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home