ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Finish Line

There have been highs and lows while working on my NaNoWriMo novel. The novel has three different types of scenes: Nikolas and Simone scenes, flashback scenes, and Simone and Thomas scenes.

The hardest ones to write were the Simone and Thomas scenes. He is her current boyfriend and I wanted to make him seem like a viable option to Nik. I wanted Thomas to be sensitive, attentive, and almost too good to be true. But every time I tried to write him he bored the hell out of me.

What can I say? I was rooting for Nik from the get go!

The modern day Nik and Simone scenes in the early part of the novel were a snap to write. But, far and away, the most fun I had were writing the flashback scenes. Nik and Simone dated in the late eighties. So I got to have them wear acid washed jeans, be huge fans of the song Boderline by Madonna, and sport Member Only jackets. They could say “Totally rad!” and “Like awesome!” The whole thing cracked me up!

The best part about NaNoWriMo is the freedom. I would never write

And then pirates flew out of the butt of the giant green ape sitting in the middle of Times Square.

But I could have if I wanted to! Because NaNo is about quantity and not quality.

And the freedom did give me the chance to throw in scenes of them being overly emotional, cryptic, rude, criminal and whatever else I could dream up without wondering if an editor would approve. I want to write all my novels like I do my NaNoWriMo novels but the internal editor shrieks at me so I end up second guessing myself.

Today I crossed the 50,000 word finish line. It felt amazing. I made my goal and gave myself added faith in my abilities.


If you did not do NaNoWriMo this year I suggest you become a participant in 2007. Like Simone circa 1987 would say, “It is like, oh my god, so totally awe-some!”


10 Comments:

  • At 11/29/2006 08:28:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Congratulations, Sara! Proud of you of seeing this challenge safely through, the whole month.

    love as always

     
  • At 11/29/2006 11:25:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Sara, congratulations! I'll be interested to see your novel when it comes out, after you're done working over the materiel you've got. I "crossed the finish line" on the same day you did, and it was an interesting month. Crazy, but I'd do it again!

     
  • At 11/30/2006 01:00:00 AM, Blogger Kilroy_60 said…

    Congratulations; I'm pleased you achieved your goal. I'll look forward to hear more about the project.








    Kilroy Was Here!

     
  • At 12/01/2006 10:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Damn! I feel so ashamed that I seem like the only blogger left on earth who wasn't doing this! :D Next year, I promise, honest! :) But, as I've said to WA and a few others...congratulations!

     
  • At 12/02/2006 12:36:00 AM, Blogger Ischelle said…

    I want to say thank you for keeping up with me...and thank you for being such a wonderful person to me and providing me with wonderful critique's

     
  • At 12/02/2006 01:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm Corinne from Jarlylove. I just have to say you've impressed me. Great just with NaNoWriMo.

    I didn't participate, but I know quite a few who did, but didn't finish.

    So good for you.

     
  • At 12/06/2006 01:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you collapsed with exhaustion now?! :D Come on, come on...some of us are eager for new words you know! :)

     
  • At 12/06/2006 07:35:00 PM, Blogger Ischelle said…

    thank you for your hopeful comments...
    they mean a lot

     
  • At 2/12/2010 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We restorate houses In Maryland,US.
    Interior / Surface remodelings,
    reasonable prices,license,
    references,photos,free estimates,
    also obtain houses to renovate:
    http://www.renewhouse4u.com.
    Mobile:410-978-7981.
    Thanks.

     
  • At 2/22/2010 08:03:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We fix houses In Maryland,US.
    Personal / External remodelings,
    equitable prices,license,
    references,photos,free estimates,
    also pay off houses to restorate:
    http://www.renewhouse4u.com.
    Mobile:410-978-7981.
    Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home