ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Running just as fast as I can

I'm in the weeds!

Do you know that expression? I think it comes from golfing.

Anyway, what I mean is that I am getting behind in my daily words counts and feel like I need to race to catch up to where I should be. I have 34,000 words. At midnight tonight I need to have 35,007. But the gap feels bigger than that. Because I think of how little time I will have to write on Turkey Day and then over the holiday weekend.

I could imagine this convo tommorow at the dinner table:

I say, "Well, if you will excuse me, I must rush off. It's National Novel writing month, you know how it is."

Blank stares.

I add, "I have to write 2,000 more words today to reach my goal."

A well meaning but clueless member of my family asks, "So that should take how long? Half an hour? Go jot down your words and come back for pie."

"It might take a while longer. I have to wait for my characters to speak to me. They're being difficult these days. Simone doesn't want to hurt Thomas but she doesn't love him the way she loves Nik. And Thomas is still in love with Miranda, who is dead. So that poses a different problem altogether. Plus they still haven't told me if Simone chooses Nik or Thomas."

Blank stares.

I hurry from the room mumbling, "Nanowrimo."

They discuss what size straight jacket to order for me.


I will try and explain to my family my need to carve sometime to spend with Nikolas and Simone but I fear it may be a losing battle.

10 Comments:

  • At 11/23/2006 10:10:00 PM, Blogger Kilroy_60 said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 11/23/2006 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Kilroy_60 said…

    I think this is a great gimmick. What it comes down to, though, is writers write. Over whatever timeframe, involving whatever number of words. It is the work that ultimately matters.

    I've been in the rough, the weeds and the woods...golfing and writing. Don't sweat it. What's meant to be is meant to be. One great golf shot can "make" a round. One perfect sentence or paragraph may make this project worthwhile for you.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 11/23/2006 10:21:00 PM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you were able to get a little bit of writing done.

     
  • At 11/24/2006 11:21:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hey Kilroy and Kelley,

    Thanks for the comments. I stuck to my guns and wrote on Thanksgiving. My word count is still low but I am hanging in there.
    Sara

     
  • At 11/24/2006 11:51:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Let the essence of the novel and the spirit of writing it take over, Sara.
    with love

     
  • At 11/28/2006 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Pamela Tyner said…

    LOL! I can so relate to the "2,000 words should take about half an hour to write" way of thinking. My husband, who TRIES to be supportive, God bless his little heart, thinks that way. He believes can write an entire chapter in a hour and when I’m done it’s PERFECTION. So in a few weeks time, I should have a completed manscript that’s ready for submission, right? *sigh* I WISH it worked that way.

    I hope you made your word count!

     
  • At 11/29/2006 10:43:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Kilroy,

    thank for the wods of encouragement. I will keep on hacking my way out of these weeds.

     
  • At 11/29/2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Kelley,

    I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving. It was great here. The weather is absolutely amazing in Chicago right now. For November it is really warm. A late Indian Summer.
    Anyway, hope everything is well with you and your writing.

    Sara

     
  • At 11/29/2006 10:47:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan,

    I love how even a comment by you can sound lyrical. you have a true gift, my friend.

    Thanks for sharing it here. Your words always brighten my day.

     
  • At 11/29/2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Pamela,
    LOL! I am glad you get where I am coming from. Sometimes I feel like the outside world of non writers never grasp how much hard labor goes into this craft.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

    Sara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home