ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Confessions of a Fraud

Last week I watched an episode of Inside the Actor's Studio. The actress being interviewed spoke about how she felt like a fraud every time she started a new movie role. She wondered if this would be the time that everyone figured out she didn't know how to act. I have heard these same sentiments echoed by other performers.

I think I suffer from something similar to this. I constantly think I don't know what I am doing when it comes to writing a novel, no matter how much I have learned in the last two years.

After hearing this actress say the same thoughts that run around in my mind all the time, I realized its just part of the process. Doubting yourself, not understanding this mysterious craft, wondering if your work will be laughed at, its all normal.

From now on I am going to try and embrace that uncertainy. Its just another thing that puts me in the same category as all the other writers ( who feared they were hacks) who came before me.

So the next time my self doubts scream "You don't know what you are doing!"

I will answer back "Of course, I don't. So what?"

7 Comments:

  • At 5/22/2007 11:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that sounds like me. thought i'm the only one on earth.

    anyway, i've just tagged you...if you don't mind.

     
  • At 5/22/2007 12:11:00 PM, Blogger Marie said…

    Definitely sounds like me at the moment.

     
  • At 5/22/2007 12:27:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    I did the meme, Canterbury. Thanks for thinking of me.

    Sara

     
  • At 5/22/2007 12:28:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Marie,

    I think we should just embrace it as normal. That takes all the power out of our doubts and makes it just another part of our process- pick character names, decide on plot line, tell nagging voice in head to shut up, write.

    Sara

     
  • At 5/24/2007 04:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There was a book about writing for children that talked about this (so sorry I can't remember the title) but it said essentially what you, Sara, suggest. Recognize the voice. Try and pinpoint why and when it's loudest. Then realize it is only a voice of doubt--not the voice of authority.

    Write on!
    ~Saoirse

     
  • At 5/27/2007 01:37:00 AM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    You're right there, Sara. :-)

     
  • At 5/27/2007 09:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, good post :) You're right, we all feel like that at some point while writing.
    I'll keep visiting, you have a very nice site ^^. Feel free to visit mine and comment if you find anything interesting.
    Good luck with your writing ;)
    W.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home