ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Still Plugging Away

I've set a goal of September 1st to be done with the second draft of Nikolas and Simone. I want it completely cleared from my to-do list by the time next NaNoWriMo rolls around.

I am still struggling with my fear of completing it. It's bizarre but very real for me. It's as if I like being able to say "I am working on my first novel." That's hopeful and almost hints at the fact that my novel could be amazing. But when I finally say "I finished my first novel," I think the rest of the sentence with probably be "and it is pure crud!"

But I have to sludge through the crud on the way to being able to produce something superior. There are no shortcuts in this craft so I will just forge forward, inch by agonizingly slow inch.

Anyway, I was tagged by Kilroy_60 :




1. What do you hope to accomplish with your blog?

I want to spur myself into action to complete my novel.

2. Are you a spiritual person?

Very much so. I haven't ever questioned if God exists. I feel like I was born knowing He does and that there is no reason to doubt that.

3. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you?

Well, I think the obvious answer is a satellite phone to call for help. While I wait for rescue I would want to have the novel The Broke Diaries by Angela Nissel to read. It never fails to crack me up. The last thing I would like is water so I could survive long enough to be saved.


4. What's your favorite childhood memory?

Taking dance lessons.

5. Is this your first meme?

Nope.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/10/2007 03:14:00 PM, Blogger Kay Richardson said…

    It's hard to finish anything. Good luck anyhows.

     
  • At 5/11/2007 01:27:00 AM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Thanks for droppping by Sara & good luck with the writing of your novel. hugs. :-)

     
  • At 5/13/2007 05:05:00 AM, Blogger Marie said…

    I can relate to how you feel. I am currently thinking about what will happen once I complete my novel. I also wonder if what I'm writing is 'pure crud'. These are thoughts all writers share.

    Good luck.

     
  • At 5/14/2007 10:16:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Sara, even if when you're done it still needs work, I'm sure it will not be pure crud. You have enough ability that I am confident a novel will lurk beneath any remaining rough spots. Keep that in mind.

     
  • At 5/14/2007 10:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sara,

    Self-doubt is normal and natural (and part of the business and brutality of writing/publishing, I fear). The fact of the matter is, no matter how much you doubt yourself and your talent, you need to complete your novel--if only to take a deep breath and say, "I actually finished."

    Will it be total crud? I have read crud. I can generally identify it from a decent distance. I have read snippets of your work, too. Not crud.

    Perhaps you'll have weak points in the novel (few writers don't). Eh, you won't know what you're capable of until you're done. And even then it will only show you what you were capable of the first time with THIS particular story.

    I think you value "lifelong learning" as much as most of us here-- one novel is only the beginning.

    Write it. Complete it. Learn from it. Then keep pushing forward.

    I need to take my own advice...Grr!
    ~Saoirse

     
  • At 5/15/2007 11:49:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Saoirse,

    Aww thanks for your kind words. It really helps me to hear all that. I so need it sometimes and you are great for taking the time.

    Your friend,

    Sara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home