ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Monday, June 12, 2006

Book Excerpts and First Chapters

Check out this site
http://www.readersread.com/excerpts/

It helps me to figure out how I want my novel to sound by reading the first pages
in other novels. The ones that I quickly lose interest or can't relate to tell me that is not the way I want to start my novel.

I think more novels should start with dialouge. I love to jump right into someone's world. It can be jarring but it is like jumping into a swimming pool. Do it quick and see if you want to stay in. I do not want to take a tour around the pool, seeing every little blade of grass, every bug that is crawling through that grass, and hearing the history of the grass before I even get near the pool. If I fall in love with the pool then maybe I will care about all that stuff.

When it comes to a novel I want to be dropped into the middle of the choas and see if it speaks to me. Right into the deep end. And that is how I like to write too.

Song Lyrics of the Day
The strands in your eyes
that color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath

Emeralds from mountains
thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth

Tell me that we belong together
Dress it up
with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated,
I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above

Edwin Mccain

5 Comments:

  • At 6/12/2006 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    Thanks for posting this site. I have been struggling with my opening scene. I have changed it three times!!

     
  • At 6/12/2006 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    You've suggested brilliant ideas and offered just as clever insights, Sara. You also seem to have caught the perfect essence of what being gripped by a novel is all about. And you're really focussed as a writer too. You know just what you want to do and where you're going.
    You're such a clever girl, Sara.
    love always,

     
  • At 6/12/2006 10:59:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Kelley,
    You are welcome. I went through the same thing before. I spent time wondering where to start my novel. What scene would be the one to capture the attention of a reader. Good luck with your first chapter. They say the best writing is rewriting. Hopefully that will prove true for both of us.

     
  • At 6/12/2006 11:04:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan,
    You are so good for my ego! This blog is much more fun since you started commenting, which led to Kelley and others commenting too. It is great to get feedback. Finally I am not alone in the desert of the internet not knowing when I will stumble upon someone or someone will stumble upon me. Thank you for all the support you give me.
    Hugs,
    Sara

     
  • At 6/13/2006 07:30:00 AM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Hugs back, Sara.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home