ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A Long Journey

I have accepted the fact that it will be a long journey to publication for me. This blog is already over a year old. I didn't even start seriously working on my writing until I started this blog.

I have yet to finish a novel, then I have to send it out to publishers, and then wait to hear back, and repeat that as many times as neccesary before I either get accepted or start sending out something else. Because I will not quit. I can not. It would be useless to quit because my desire to be published will never die. I would only return to writing again later if I ever was foolish enough to give it up. I tried that once before cloaking it in the cover of "writer's block".
Was it writer's block that kept me away from this craft I love for three years or was it writer's neglect?

And after I sell my first novel it may be up to two years before it is on a shelf in a store. I am not discouraged by the length of time it might take or all the setbacks and roadblocks I might face.

This is a wondrous journey for me. I would not want to spend my free time on anything else.

What I am reading- Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan

7 Comments:

  • At 6/06/2006 04:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It does take FOREVER in the publishing biz. Once I got serious it was three years to get a book I liked, 6 months to find an agent, 6 months for her to sell. Now I wait till Feb when the book comes out and that is considered speedy. Yeesh.

     
  • At 6/06/2006 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Hi Sara,
    Eileen is so right.
    It's matured-thinking on your part to accept the dark reality of publishing and that's admirable but what I've read and seen of my friends and others is that everyone's publishing journey is different and no 2 are alike. So that's a big relief.
    And there are mercies along the way.
    For instance, the timing of locating an agent, an agent selling your work, a publisher publishing it in turn and a public's response to and publicity for the entire venture all differ. Timing could be very fast or slow in that erratic way for each different writer.
    So you don't know.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed that things will go for you at GodSpeed.
    And by the way, congratulations Eileen. You must be so excited.
    cheers

     
  • At 6/07/2006 11:55:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Eileen,
    Thanks for leaving a comment. Congrats on haning your first novel published. What will it be titled? I would love to be able to check it out.

     
  • At 6/07/2006 11:59:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan,
    that is so true what you said about no two journeys being alike. I am prepared for it to take years but I be thrilled if I got published sooner. Though I think I would be a little freaked out, too! When this dream becomes a reality will be a huge turning point in my life. I am not turning back now. Onward to publication is my motto!
    Bye for now
    Sara

     
  • At 6/08/2006 12:01:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hi everyone
    I will not be updating this blog until after the weekend. I hope all you writers out there have a productive writing weekend.

     
  • At 6/08/2006 09:30:00 AM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    HOpe you have a good weekend too! I have excepted that it will take a while too! It is hard for me because I am so impatient!

     
  • At 6/08/2006 08:42:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Will miss you and your inspiring writes, Sara. Come back soon.
    god bless

     

Post a Comment

<< Home