ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mystery of My Writing

On May 8th I wrote a few pages off the top of my head. The first line was

I am a writer.


I thought it was just a throw away page but then I turned it into a tale about a man who is at a Writers Workshop. I started working on it again after I finished CBTM. And I am loving what I am coming up with so far. I have a good feeling about this project. It could be The One. The first novel I send to agents and publishers.

But, of course, there are many problems already with it.

1. It has 2,500 words and I have no clue if I can get it to novel length.

2. I write off the top of my head. I love that. I didn't know what the main character's sex was until he told me he was a divorced guy. I didn't know his name for weeks. I am still not sure if the name he has is his REAL name. But I also don't know the ending. I didn't know a girl was in the tale until she popped up yesterday.

3. It is in first person present tense. I am not even sure if novels in this tense sell, let alone first novels. But it has to be told this way.

4. I really want this one to be The One. I could be proud to put my name on this one. So I feel pressure to get it down.


But, overall, I am hopeful and excited to have stumbled into this project. I am also working on Andre's Story still. But the tone I have written it in is not gritty enough for this urban tale of a man just released from prison. So it is back to the drawing board where he is concerned.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/12/2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    I love that excitement when you get that special feeling from what you are writing! I'm feeling that way with my Lucky novella! Good luck.

     
  • At 7/12/2006 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    I would just go with the flow of the content as you are doing so very well at this moment, Sara, and leave the technical bits for later. Then you could edit as you desire.
    love

     
  • At 7/14/2006 10:10:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Kelly,
    I am glad to hear the Lucky novel is going well.It sounds like the hero in the story is one hot italin man. yum! Best of luck with your writing and once again congrats on the sale.
    bye,
    sara

     
  • At 7/14/2006 10:16:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Susan, you are so right about going with the flow. I have such a problem moving forward if i do not like what I have so far.
    But I am working on so much different stuff right now that I am still getting plenty accomplished even if Andre's Story is giving me fits.
    I haven't been able to commenton your blog as much as I would like to so let me say here that I am so impressed with all of the work you have had accepted lately. You are on a serious role. I hope some of your good luck rubs off on me.
    Hugs,
    Sara

     

Post a Comment

<< Home