ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Group

The yahoo group is going great so far. I thought I would answer some questions that the members or other readers of this blog might have about the group.

Why did I start a Yahoo group for unpublished writers?
I think having other writers to share my struggles, joy, questions and concerns with will make me more focused on my writing. Having this blog has made me accountable to not only myself ( I have to write to have something to blog about) but, also, to everyone who ever reads this blog. It is my story of my journey to publication and I want it to have a happy ending. The Writers Group is another way to motivate me to keep going.
I know writing can be a lonely adventure at times and having connections to other writers can ease some of those feelings.

Am I a member of any other Writers Group?
Offline I am not. I don't feel brave enough to go to a meeting with paper in hand to be critiqued. But I hope to get to that point some day.
Online I am the member of two other groups. A yahoo group called new writers chat that has helped me over the last year to learn some technical aspects of novel writing. It has also allowed me to make some new writer friends. But over time the number of monthly posts have dwindled.
I started my own mns group for aspiring writers at the same time I started this blog. This blog was actually created as a promotional tool to get people to join my msn group.
I chat daily at a msn group that discusses a different hobby I have and that group makes me crack up laughing, feel supported, and vent if I need to. But it is not focused on writing .I hoped my msn group would be just like that one but for writers. Well, after nearly a year and a half, I have given up on waiting for that to happen. Now my yahoo group will get the attention the msn group used to get.

How am I getting members for the new Yahoo group?

First off I posted a question on Yahoo Answers asking if anyone wanted to join. Then I sent invites to everyone in my msn writers group and New Writers Chat. I , also, searched through yahoo groups for writers groups that were started and never found any members. I know the person that started that group must have hoped, like I did for my msn group, that they would find online writing friends. And if they join
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brandnewaspiringwriters/
they will.

I will still be updating this blog weekly.





3 Comments:

  • At 6/23/2006 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    I think it was a wonderful idea, Sara.

     
  • At 6/24/2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger Kelley Nyrae said…

    I'm loving the group :)

     
  • At 6/24/2006 11:24:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    I think it is going well so far. In fact, it is better than I expected. Thanks for joining and helping to make it a success.
    I don't think we need 100 members ( did you know some of those yahoo groups have 2000 members?! Yikes!). I am thinking 25-40 would be good. Because I know that plenty of people sign up and never post or rarely post.
    I am happy with the fourteen we have for right now but may look for a few more members in the future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home