ASPIRING ROMANCE WRITER

I write to keep me sane. I write so that my words may outlive my life. I write to find redemption

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Writer's Game

The 101 lines story.

Add a line to this story. Once it reaches 100 lines, which may take months, I will add the last line. I may add lines in the middle if the muse strikes me. I will take your line from the comment area and put in the end of the story.

Look for new posts underneath this story.


Her legs were on fire but she couldn't stop running.Her toes bled but she kept on, knowing the danger that hounded her.

Not too far behind, her pursuers seemed to be gaining on her. It was their silence as they followed her that bothered her the most. She'd always thought wolves howled as they hunted, so what was wrong with these animals?

Cate Samson didn't want to die tonight, torn to pieces by these hungry beasts that stalked her. She saw the yellow light streaming from the window of the cottage few paces ahead of her. Torn between the fear of the wolves and the uncertainty of the unknown cottage, Cate quickly chose the less immediate peril.

The cottage window bared a peep into a wild teenage party,Cate slipped in through the backdoor. Unaware of what fate lay ahead, she ventured into the unknown enveloped by darkness; yet in the distance there shone a dim light.

Cate gasped for air, while locking the door behind her, and then rested against it as her eyes swept over the darkened kitchen. She could hear laughter and music coming from the living room.

A party?

Without warning, she heard voices calling out in farewell, a door opening, then sudden screams. Cate ran toward the commotion and came upon a bloody scene of carnage where wolves were attacking teenagers, but as soon as she moved into the room the image disappeared again.

Cate froze, fingers twitching, eyes darting about the eerily empty room. She whirled around, suddenly sure she must be standing in the beam of a hologram projector.


"It's happening again, isn't it?" her boyfriend asked

She opened her mouth, but her voice had vanished - stolen away with the horrific scene. Bewilderment surged over Cate much as water closes over a shipwrecked sailor who cannot swim, and she struggled to keep her mind afloat, her sanity alive.

Daniel moved across the room and placed his hand on her arm, then said "It's getting worse, Catie."

Suddenly there's a flash of lightning, a booming, rolling thunder that sounds like it will never end and silence in pitch darkness after the electricity has gone off. Daniel stumbled forward, his hands reaching but connecting with nothing.

Daniel turned and saw Cate step out of the shadows as she whispered defiantly, "I want to try it again. I think I know how I can change it next time. You have to let me--I know I'll be able control it. I don't want to lose you."

He said the word that even in her bravest moments she didn't dare dwell on-- "Again."

Cate walked over and flipped off the projector. The images fell away, leaving them in a gray walled room in the sub-basement of a nameless- to the masses- government agency. Since those scientists who knew of it could not agree on the precise significance of the effect a team of theoretical physicists had stumbled upon while investigating the possibility of time travel, the Department for Understanding Special Technologies had stepped in.


Writers taking part :

Sara, Susan, Friend of Jaime,Sylver, Wandering Author,Sara again, Nothingman,Sam, Usha, Blu Jewel, Sara twice,Syler, Wandering Author, Sara, Saoirse Redgrave, Wandering Author, Sara, Cesalie Chase, Wandering Author, Sara, Kilroy, Sara, Stargazer, Saoirse. Sara twice, Ray

Thank you to these writers. The story is really shaping into something different than I would write on my own. Loving it so far!





Will you add the next line? One line per writer per day. Play often!

Don't be shy to twist the plot. You control where this goes....

25 Comments:

  • At 1/24/2007 08:36:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Hiya Sara,
    How are you, my friend?
    ok my contribution is

    Her toes bled but she kept on, knowing the danger that hounded her.

     
  • At 1/25/2007 10:31:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hello Susan,

    I'm doing wonderful today. It is cold but not snowy here in near Chicago. I'm writing constantly but still feeling like I need to write more. Still I haven't suffered the dreaded Writer's Block in a while so it's all good.

    Anyway, thanks for adding to the story. It should be fun to see if others jump in over time.

    Bye for now,

    Sara

     
  • At 1/25/2007 03:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a friend of Jaime (Silver, Fiction Scribe) and I read on Fiction Scribe about this, so I figured I'd stop by and add a line. :)


    Not too far behind, her pursuers seemed to be gaining on her.

     
  • At 1/25/2007 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It was their silence as they followed her that bothered her the most.

     
  • At 1/25/2007 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said…

    Sara, I shall announce your 101 lines as a little post tomorrow for you on my blog & then I'll slip it into the sidebar until it's done. Sorry it couldn't be today.

    I am amazed at how well you 're doing with your writing craft & ideas. It's clear each of us follows a different journey though our general aspirations as writers are in many ways, the same. :-) hugs

     
  • At 1/25/2007 11:22:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    She'd always thought wolves howled as they hunted, so what was wrong with these animals?

     
  • At 1/26/2007 09:39:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Thank you, Susan!

    And to everyone else, thanks for playing along. Come back and play some more as the weeks go on.

    I am loving the story so far. Especially the addition of the wolves. That is the first twist!

     
  • At 1/27/2007 02:15:00 AM, Blogger Pallav said…

    Hey, browsed here from Susan's blog, I bet there are more coming
    I'll pitch in a line..:)

    She saw the yellow light streaming from the window of the cottage few paces ahead of her.

    Thanks!
    N
    A Story A Day

     
  • At 1/27/2007 01:40:00 PM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Hello Nothingman, nice to meet you. Glad to see you took part in my writing game. I am loving seeing how the story unfolds.

     
  • At 1/28/2007 09:50:00 AM, Blogger Sam said…

    Hi Sara, found you by following Susan's bread crumbs...

    "Torn between the fear of the wolves and the uncertainty of the unknown cottage, Cate quickly chose the less immediate peril."

     
  • At 1/28/2007 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Usha said…

    The cottage window bared a peep into a wild teenage party,Cate slipped in through the backdoor.

     
  • At 1/29/2007 03:39:00 PM, Blogger Blu Jewel said…

    unaware of what fate lay ahead, she ventured into the unknown enveloped by darkness; yet in the distance there shone a dim light...

     
  • At 1/29/2007 09:15:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A party?

     
  • At 1/29/2007 10:30:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Without warning, she heard voices calling out in farewell, a door opening, then sudden screams.

     
  • At 1/31/2007 08:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sara,
    Very cool project. Something like this (but novel size)was initiated years ago online with a prominant author (whose name I've since forgotten) doing the first and last page--paragraph? I wonder what happened to it...

    Anyhow, here's my little bit:

    Cate froze, fingers twitching, eyes darting about the eerily empty room.

    Stay warm! I've gotta' throw a log on the fire...
    ~Saoirse

     
  • At 2/01/2007 12:38:00 AM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Sara, and all other contributors: note that I don't say there's one there; that's what Cate thinks, so you can take things either way from here.

    She whirled around, suddenly sure she must be standing in the beam of a hologram projector.

     
  • At 2/03/2007 04:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is an awesome idea! Mind if I join in?

    She opened her mouth, but her voice had vanished - stolen away with the horrific scene.

    There y'are! Have a nice day :)

     
  • At 2/07/2007 12:38:00 AM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Hi, Sara.

    Bewilderment surged over Cate much as water closes over a shipwrecked sailor who cannot swim, and she struggled to keep her mind afloat, her sanity alive.

     
  • At 2/10/2007 03:57:00 PM, Blogger Kilroy_60 said…

    The next line of the story:
    Suddenly there's a flash of lightning, a booming, rolling thunder that sounds like it will never end. And silence in pitch darkness after the electricity has gone off.

    This post I think qualifies as the definition of FREE FOR ALL!! GREAT carnival selection.

     
  • At 2/11/2007 04:38:00 PM, Blogger Stargazer (original profile) said…

    Daniel turned and saw Cate step out of the shadows as she whispered defiantly, "I want to try it again. I think I know how I can change it next time. You have to let me--I know I'll be able control it. I don't want to lose you."

     
  • At 2/16/2007 08:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He said the word that even in her bravest moments she didn't dare dwell on-- "Again."

     
  • At 2/27/2007 11:32:00 AM, Blogger RomanceWriter said…

    Thanks to everyone who has played along so far. I never write sci-fi or fantasy so this story is far outside my usual realm but that makes it all the more interesting to me.

     
  • At 3/01/2007 03:19:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    Since those scientists who knew of it could not agree on the precise significance of the effect a team of theoretical physicists had stumbled upon while investigating the possibility of time travel, the Department for Understanding Special Technologies had stepped in.

     
  • At 3/16/2007 04:13:00 PM, Blogger writerwoman said…

    "Let it go for tonight," Daniel said as he walked over and rubbed her shoulders. "You're tired."

     
  • At 4/26/2007 03:30:00 PM, Blogger The Wandering Author said…

    "Of course I'm tired; experiencing these... whatever they are, is exhuasting, but we need to figure out what's really happening here!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home